Saturday, June 11, 2011

My Internship

Well, since the reason I am here in Jordan is to perform an Internship with the Ministry of Social Development, I figured I should probably write a little about what I am doing and how the work has progressed.  Although we really only worked one day this week, I believe this has been the most productive week thus far.  I believe I have already written about our meeting with Rasha on Tuesday where we learned about the survey we were doing, it's purpose, and the additional analysis and proposals we needed to create in order to fulfill our task.  Later in the week we found out that she wants the whole thing translated by today and the analysis done by tomorrow, I gently told her that that was unreasonable but that we would have it to her as soon as possible.  Hopefully we'll (meaning me) will be able to get the translation moving along nicely so we can get this thing pumped out.
  On Wednesday we went to our first and only day of work actually at the Marqez this week and it was quite productive.  When we arrived we found that the director of the Marqez, Ali, was on vacation and the Assistant to the Secretary General was auditing the center once again.  Apparently many people at the Ministry are aware that the renovation process is taking a very long time and are trying to find the problem and fix it so that the Marqez can get to helping the people of Iraq Al-Ameer.  We got to talk to him for awhile and he set up an appointment with the Regional Manager for the next day so that we could talk to her about the center, what we can do to help, and possible solutions or programs to help the community.  That night I prepared a small report to present to her the following day, detailing what we saw as the issues in the Marqez and programs or ideas that could be implemented to help solve the issues.
  Thursday was by far my favorite day and we were able to get a lot done.  Our meeting with the Regional Manager and her Assistant went amazingly well.  They told us that we needed to find out more about the people in the area, what they needed, and how the center could help.  So, they decided that the four of us, with some people from the Marqez, would create and distribute a survey to the area to best gather the information and then Austin and I will perform an analysis on the data and we will begin implement programs to help the people in the ways they need the most.  We also discussed classes and workshops we could perform and some of our ideas of ways to help the center.  They told us that half our day was going to be spent working in the Marqez with the community while the other half would be spent on the survey. It as a great meeting and extremely productive.
  As you can see, my internship is really starting to heat up and I am extremely excited to begin all this work but sad that my leisure time is being cut back.  Oh well, I came out here to work and learn right?  That's what I'm gonna do!

No comments:

Post a Comment