Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Progress on the Internship!

Well, this week we have made remarkable progress in our internship.  We had hoped to be teaching English this week as well as beginning the survey but have received the assurances and created a schedule whereby these will both begin next week.  So every Sunday, Tuesday and Thursday Austin and I will go to the marqez in Iraq Al-Ameer where we will teaching two separate courses on English, one for beginners and one for more advanced or older students (I have also decided that I will go to the handicraft village pretty much every day after work in Iraq Al-Ameer to weave and make ceramics).  Austin will be teaching the boys and I will get to teach the girls.  Hopefully it won't be too hard but I have never proven too able to teach or hold the attention of children for very long so we will see how well we can do.  It will definitely be an adventure.

  On Mondays and Wednesdays we will report to the Mudireea in Wadi Il-Seer where we will begin work on a comprehensive survey in the Iraq Al-Ameer area.  The survey will have a demographic aspect and also focus on needs, and solutions for the community and what programs the Ministry of Social Development can implement in order to help the people of Iraq Al-Ameer.  It should be a pretty fun survey, although I believe it will take quite awhile to get the answers we need from individuals in the community mainly because I'm sure that every family we talk to will take a minimum of an hour since we will be drinking tea and offered lunch at every home.  It should be fun and will hopefully improve my arabic comprehension and conversation skills.  Over all I am excited for the progress we are making and excited, if a little nervous, for what this internship will entail next week.  Below I have included some pictures to add a little flare and show you a little of what we have done at the center.  I hope you enjoy!

This is the room where I will be teaching English to between 10 and 20 girls age 5-15:

Before


After


These are the kids that we met on Monday.
It should be pretty interesting!

No comments:

Post a Comment